Smoothie to balance everything
I have often struggled with what is the right meal after looking at my blood report. High Tryglycerides, bad cholesterol (if there is such a term) has been my achilles heel since my 20s. I have been super competitive playing Squash and such, but still struggled with some imbalances in the blood report.
In a conversation with Michelle Wong a few months ago, I became aware of the role of micro-nutrients in our meals. This was much further refined by Vikram Marathe (surprise surprise, that people from various walks of life know more about this stuff :)). You can read more from him here.
After much research and experimentation, came up with this Asterix style magic potion. I feel (not scientifically proven and not a strong advise i.e. what works for me, may not work for you) that this smoothie has done the following things
- Reduced my craving for Carbs (and Hunger)
- Sleep like a baby.
- Clean energy system — better focus, cool’er demeanor.
- Energy levels — Do not get tired at the Squash courts.
- Upgraded immune system (no more getting common cold on change of weather)
- Hopefully better liver, no accumulation of uric acid in feet either.
The essence of this smoothie is detailed below and NO IT DOESN’T TAKE ME HOURS TO MAKE THIS, just throw the stuff in there and let it whip.
- Greens — Well you know the story here. Just more greens
- Adaptogens (and so called super foods) — Read more here . The adaptogens do more than whats described here but that’s a good start.
- Plant based protein — Cannot forget this one
- Seeds — Similiar function as nuts but differently.
- Nuts — To care of the micronutrient needs of the body with all the essential minerals e.g. Potassium etc.
- Fruits — Anti-oxidants and other goodies.
- Other Vegetables — While you are at it, why not.
You can google the stuff and its benefits, a lot of literature is out there. One of the thing I struggled with, was what to put and what not to put in there but hopefully it was happy ending :) :).
This is a vitamix blender based wonder with stuff thrown randomly in there. and Taste is GREAT
I support the local (and Indian) grocery stores. Would strongly recommend a visit to them but just for reference here is the link for the stuff you are likely to use.
I normally have it for my mid-day meal (and not the night)